Relocating your library can be one of the most challenging tasks when moving. The task of packing books safely and efficiently often proves daunting. Yet, books are precious possessions, carrying not just stories, but also personal memories, and their safe transportation is essential. Luckily, with the right guidance and resources, such as those provided by BlueBox Storage, packing books for moving can become less stressful and more effective. Here are some best practices to follow.
Before packing, assess your library. Sort your books into categories: keep, donate, sell, or recycle. If a book hasn’t been touched in years, it may be time to pass it on to another reader. This can significantly lighten your load, make your move cheaper and save space in your new home.
2. Materials Needed
After decluttering, gather all the packing supplies needed. You will need:
- Small or medium-sized sturdy boxes: Remember, books can be heavy. BlueBox Storage offers durable, reusable plastic boxes perfect for this task. They’re waterproof, stackable, and more eco-friendly than cardboard alternatives.
- Packing paper or bubble wrap: This is for extra protection for valuable or antique books.
- Packing tape: To secure the boxes.
- Markers: To label the boxes.
3. The Packing Process
- Start Early: Don’t underestimate the time it takes to sort and pack books. Start early to reduce the stress of last-minute packing.
- Pack Books Tightly: To prevent books from moving and getting damaged during transportation, pack them tightly. However, don’t overload the box, as it could become too heavy to lift safely.
- Position Books Correctly: There are three ways to pack books – upright, flat, or spine down. Never pack them spine up because it can cause damage to the bindings. For hardcover books and valuable editions, it’s best to pack them flat. Paperbacks and softcovers can be packed upright or spine down.
- Use Bubble Wrap or Packing Paper: For special books like first editions or those with sentimental value, wrap them individually in packing paper or bubble wrap for extra protection.
4. Labeling and Moving the Boxes
Once packed, ensure that all boxes are sealed securely with packing tape. Next, label each box clearly with the contents and the destination room in your new home. This will assist in a smooth unloading and unpacking process. Remember, write ‘Fragile’ and ‘This Side Up’ to ensure that your books are handled with care during the move.
5. Storage and Unpacking
If you’re not immediately unpacking your books, BlueBox Storage provides a convenient and secure solution for your books’ temporary home. When you’re ready to unpack, open the boxes and arrange your books on the shelves rather than leaving them in the boxes for a long time. This prevents possible moisture build-up which can damage the books.
Moving a book collection doesn’t have to be a hassle. With careful planning, decluttering, and packing, you can ensure that your books arrive at their new home safely. With BlueBox Storage’s strong, reusable boxes, you can efficiently pack and protect your books. We’re here to help you make the moving process as smooth as possible. Contact us for more information on our moving and storage solutions (971) 707-4830.